Check out today’s Teatime Titbit: Randomsome. The secret language of the natives 1.
As you know ‘Randomsome’ is a made up word of mine as post name for randomly chosen words or phrases. I guess you are all thinking, what on earth the secret language of the natives is?
Phrasal verbs – things that separate the men from the boys (die Spreu vom Weizen trennen) in terms of (in puncto) knowledge and use of English ! If you are already MAN enough to know the following – great, if you are in your infancy or teenage years, this post will help you on the way to manhood.
As with all good things – they come in 5s –– so here are ‘your 5 a day’ phrasal verbs for today:
- to take sb on = to employ = We’ve taken on 5 new IT specialists to meet the growing demand (Nachfrage).
- to step down = to resign = The Prime Minister was forced to stand down after a series of scandals.
- to call for sth = to publically ask for sth to happen = In the wake of (infolge) the recent (neueste) cyberattacks, police chiefs are calling for more funding to combat cybercrime.
- to put sth down to sth = to attribute to sth (zuschreiben) = Many scientists put the rising sea levels down to global warming and the melting of the polar caps.
- to tell sb off = to reprimand (jdn zurechtweisen)= I can’t believe he just told him off in front of all the colleagues.
Have a great start to the week.