Check out today’s Teatime Titbit: WWW. Up your game 1.
Do you want to raise your register when speaking English? If so, this is just for you. Below there are 5 formal words with a less formal synonym, an example phrase and the translation.
- to breach = to break = to not keep to an agreement or not keep a promise. „The government is accused of breaching the terms of the treaty“. = brechen
- concern = worry = a feeling of worry, especially one that is shared by many People. „There is growing concern about violence on Television“. = Sorge / Besorgnis
- to deem = to consider = to have a particular opinion about something. „The evening was deemed a great success.“ = etw. für halten
- to reiterate = to repeat something = to repeat something that you have already said, especially to emphasize it. „The government has reiterated its commitment to economic reform“. = wiederholen
- stringent = (of a law, rule, regulation, etc.) = very strict = must be obeyed. „Licences are only granted under the most stringent conditions“. = streng
Now go out and use them to your heart’s content (nach Herzenslust)!!!!!!!